~ Tips for making your life easier and less expensive ~

Friday, February 09, 2007

Little Investments

Plenty of research is available indicating which home improvement projects provide the biggest bang for the buck. Remodeling a kitchen? Your $10,000 project might add $9,200 to your home's value. Adding a monkey habitat in the backyard? Well, you might be paying for that one yourself.

That research is great if you're in the position to spend money, and are in the mood to do some serious work. However, I believe there are tiny improvements that can bring a return of 100% or more on your investment. One example: solar lights. Yes, I've seen them overdone, and I've seen them done poorly. But drive by a house with tastefully executed exterior lighting, and tell me that house doesn't look at least $1000 more expensive than the one next to it. That lighting can be accomplished for $200.

General landscaping is another option, though it can get pricey quickly. But if you have enough time to buy the plants young and watch them grow, you can watch your home's value grow right along with them. Besides plants, check with city hall to see if your city offers free mulch or compost, in order to keep your landscaping prices down.

I'm no expert on these things; I'm offering only my opinion. But when I prepare to sell my house, I'm going to line up all those inexpensive but potent cosmetic improvements. And since some of them are quite affordable, I'm putting them in place now so I can enjoy them in the meantime. What cost-effective home improvements do you suggest?

3 comments:

Kenthe2 said...

I like the new look of the page! Very slick. Nice job.

BNick said...

Thanks, Ken. Still working on it, but nearly done.
I agree with MadMup that editing Blogger templates can be a nightmare.

MadMup said...

This is why I outsourced the job!

But, yeah, I've been meaning to comment on the new look - it's quite spiffy!