~ Tips for making your life easier and less expensive ~

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Electricity Cost for a Home Entertainment System: $8.08/month

I'm continuing to use my electricity meter to learn about my electricity costs. Here's my latest finding:

Home theater details:
Panasonic 36" CRT TV
Motorola Moxi DVR
RCA DVD Player
Sony HT-DDW900 5.1 surround sound system

Test Results:
Hours plugged in: 335
Hours in use: (The electricity meter doesn't track this data. I suspect I watch as much TV as the average person.)
KWH: 34.09
KWH charge: $.09988

Subwoofer (separate test)
Hours plugged in: 217
KWH: 2.23
KWH charge: $.09988

Extrapolated monthly cost: $8.08

4 comments:

Kenthe2 said...

Do you know of a good internet security program for free? I'm using Norton, and I don't want to renew.
I love the site. Good info!

BNick said...

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for in an Internet security package, but there are 4 steps to keeping your Windows PC running smoothly when you're connected to the Internet:

1) Keep Windows up-to-date with Automatic Updates. Free.
2) Use a firewall. The one in Windows XP Service Pack 2 does the trick without additional cost.
3) Use an antispyware program. Spybot Search & Destroy, Adaware, and Windows Defender are all free.
4) Use antivirus software. Avast! is free for personal use, as is AVG Antivirus.

For what it's worth, I've found Norton's products--particularly their Internet Security product--to be terrible. I'm not going to take the time to defend that opinion right now. But I personally won't put most of their products on my computers anymore.

TwoSticks said...

I have Norton on my computer at work, hate it. Slows my computer way down even when I'm not online. I've been using AVG for a couple years with little problems, and I know several suppliers we do business with at work also use AVG because their emails to me say "scanned by AVG". Why pay for security, if someone wants to attack my computer bad enough they will find a way around Norton?

Kenthe2 said...

Insightful comments.
Thank you.